52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 6 -- Favorite Name

I can't pick just one favorite name, so here are but a few I enjoy...

Abednego Biddy
As far as I know, Abednego Biddy is the first of my direct ancestors to settle in Texas. He came to Texas in 1826 and by December 1830 was living in Stephen F. Austin's Colony with his family.[1] He is listed on the muster roll of Capt. Hill's Company of Rangers[2] from July-October 1836.[3] And if you can't quite place his first name, think back to your Vacation Bible School days. Remember the Biblical story of the three boys cast into the fire by Nebuchadnezzar when they refuse to bow down to the king's golden image? Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. I've recently found a military service record for a "Mashack Biddy" who is possibly a brother to Abednego. If/when I find "Shadrach Biddy"...trifecta!

Zebulon Brevard
Another Biblical name, this Zebulon[4] is my Revolutionary War ancestor and DAR patriot. He was a member of the Mecklenburg Co., North Carolina militia.

The Shehorn surname
I've never encountered this surname anywhere else and it's proving difficult to find in records as it's almost always misspelled -- Shihon, Shuhorn, Shuhem. Well, who knows? Maybe I'm the one spelling it wrong!

Wren, Wayne, Wynie, Willard, Wyatt, Waldo, Weimer and Wilma -- the names of my great-grandfather and -grandmother Jones' eight children, all starting with the letter "W"
Wilma was my mother's aunt and my namesake -- thank goodness her middle name was Elaine and that's the name I received!

Ralph Wayne Jones and me (c. 1963)



Footnotes
[1] Austin's Register of Families (SC.LGR.25-26). Archives and Records Program, Texas General Land Office, Austin
[2] Stephen F. Austin established what has become the traditional founding year of the Texas Rangers in 1823 ("I will employ ten men ...to act as rangers for the common defense."). [“Traditional Founding of the Texas Rangers in 1823.” The Official Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum in Waco, Texas, www.texasranger.org/ReCenter/org1823.htm.]
[3] In 1835, the groundwork for a provisional government was laid which included a frontier defense consisting of "a corps of Rangers...of one hundred and fifty men." [“Reorganization of the Texas Rangers in 1835.” The Official Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum in Waco, Texas, www.texasranger.org/ReCenter/org1835.htm.]
[4] Zebulon was, according to the Books of Genesis and Numbers, the sixth and last son of Jacob and Leah, and the founder of the Israelite Tribe of Zebulun. [“Zebulun.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 4 Feb. 2018, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebulun.]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: 2020, Week 27 -- Solo

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 27 -- Independence

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 15 -- Taxes