52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 14 -- The Maiden Aunt

My maternal grandfather Ralph Wayne Jones' favorite aunt was his maiden aunt, Margaret America Brevard (his mother's oldest sister). "Aunt Mag" was born 7 Dec 1860 in Red River Co., Texas, and died 20 Jan 1933 and is buried in Crews, Texas beside her mother, Julia Matthews Brevard.

No one in the Jones family who I knew, knew much about Aunt Mag. I've always loved her name. Apparently she was special to my grandfather, as my mother has always told me that she was Wayne's favorite aunt.

He sent "Maggie" this postcard in 1910 from his home in Crews to her home in Ballinger, just 15 miles away. I love this postcard because not only does it preserve my grandfather's handwriting, it has a picture of him on the front which he makes fun of in his message to his aunt.



Postmark Dec 14 A.M. 1910 Crews, Texas:

"After 10 days return to Wayne Jones Crews, Tex.

Miss Maggie Brevard
Ballinger, Texas

Well Aunt Mag I will send you a scarecrow to stick up in your garden. Well by by Wayne, Runnels Co."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: 2020, Week 27 -- Solo

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 27 -- Independence

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 15 -- Taxes